As newly elected President, I wish you a warm welcome to the Website of the European Music School Union!
In a fast changing world, Music Schools have to face constant and huge challenges. In this context, it seems much more important to rely on collective intelligence rather than isolated ways of thinking. This is why our organization is so important for the future of music education in Europe.
The EMU, which brings together 26 national associations and represents 6,000 music and art schools, 150,000 professionals and 4 million students, fosters:
– the quality and diversity of music education in Europe and its access to the largest audience;
– its promotion to the European and national institutions;
– the exchange of information and experience between our members;
– the formation of regional working groups;
– the organization of training seminars throughout Europe;
– the development of innovative pedagogical projects;
– the collaboration with higher education, music at school and university research;
– the patronage of Youth Music Festivals.
Concerning this last point, I would like to thank very warmly the organizers of the 13th Youth Music Festival which took place from 8 to 12 May in Sneek (The Netherlands), in the European Capital of Culture 2018. Thanks to their huge work, 6000 young people from all over Europe experienced an extraordinary moment of music, sharing and fraternity, warmly welcomed by the inhabitants of Sneek and Friesland. Congratulations to all!
I would also like to emphasize the remarkable work of my predecessor, Helena MAFFLI, as well as the previous Board and our administrative staff, who have served with passion and competence in the last years the cause of music education in Europe.
We deeply believe that the transmission of music and art in general is more than ever necessary to our society, and we need everyone’s commitment!